Friday 4 November 2016

Primitive Character Animation Submission



For this animation, I had to use a simple character/primitive shapes to help exaggerate or display our chosen emotion. Since mine was anger, I had to use my squirrel character to help convey its emotion. The render consists of the squirrel doing a certain action twice which was the tail curling into a ball and slamming the ground, at the start and the end of the animation. This helps convey the message of the short animation which is that the squirrel is angry. The secondary action of the scene also helps exaggerate the squirrel’s emotion. Whenever the squirrel hits the ground using his tail, the scene props bounce up and down. This helps exaggerate the power of the impact that the squirrel gives in order to help overemphasize the emotion.

The main objective of the animation was to see how animations look without any “fancy render settings”. Most of the times, poor animation can sometimes be made up by fabulous renders, extra settings like GI, AO, shadows etc… Although this doesn’t help the actual animation look better, it covers up for any mistakes or the lack of quality the animation shows. By removing the “quality render” element, it ‘clear the air’ by showing how the animation looks when stripped down to its ‘bare bones’.

I believe my animation is good at a certain standard. I feel as if I could have improved the tail animation better, since the tail was quite difficult to animate as it was following an FK format (not that using an IK controller would be any better). I also believe that I’ve helped convey the characters emotion by using many of the 12 principles of animation. These include squash and stretch, staging, slow in and slow out, follow through and overlapping action, exaggeration, secondary action, anticipation and timing and motion. If the animation is observed closely, all of the mentioned principles can be seen in its entire integrity.
Overall I am pleased with the way the animation turned out but I believe I could have done better with a longer timeline but we were restricted to keep the animation to a very short timescale (<7-9 seconds).


 CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICAL FEEDBACK WITH IMPROVED ANIMATION
 
From the feedback that I was given during session 4, I decided to take what everyone had said into consideration in regards to my animation. Many of the changes I made were timeline curve based meaning I was not adding a load of new keyframe’s but instead modifying and experimenting with each of the values and seeing how it’ll affect the animation. In comparison to the first attempt, the changes I made were:

  • Fixed the tail swinging and gave it movement throughout the entire animation.
  • The tail flicks at certain parts to suggest a spring like energy build up from when the squirrel lands and when it takes off.
  • The 2 scene props now rotate slightly when in mid-air. I decided to give it a weight distribution so that for example, the front end would go up first and then the back end would follow through.
  • Used a better camera angle and the low position of the camera helps with convey the message of the squirrel (that he is angry).  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment